If you are considering a career change, looking for a job in the healthcare industry is a great idea. As one of the fastest-growing industries over the next decade, many opportunities for success will be available for you. If you enjoy working with people and being helpful, one role to consider is a medical assistant.
A medical assistant helps the healthcare industry function smoothly by working both in the office and in clinical settings to assist doctors and patients throughout the day. How can I know if a career as a medical assistant is right for me?
What Is a Typical Day For a Medical Assistant?
One of the great things about being a medical assistant is that every day can be different. Typical responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing, then updating, patient records
- Scheduling visits and treatments
- Assisting during medical exams
- Maintaining and ordering supplies and medicines
What Skills Are Necessary for Success as a Medical Assistant?
Professionals who work as medical assistants must be comfortable with people and be willing to make personal connections. This role typically gets to know their patients, has access to their personal information, and may be with them during very challenging times in their lives. This role has an important responsibility for the health and welfare of patients.
Successful medical assistants are::
- Patient, calm, and good in an emergency
- Eager life-long learners
- Good listeners
- Trustworthy team players
Are There Educational Requirements?
You must meet educational requirements to launch your career. Pursuing an associate degree with relevant coursework that can lead to certifications which may be a good fit for you.
What Are the Benefits of Being a Medical Assistant?
There are many benefits to choosing a career as a medical assistant. Here are five to consider:
- Competitive salary: medical assistants earn a competitive salary, and with the projected growth in the field can expect to continue to earn a fair wage throughout their career.
- Job growth: medical assistant roles are projected to add over 132,000 new jobs over the next decade. This growth is significantly higher than the national average.
- Personal Satisfaction: medical assistants have the satisfaction of knowing that they are helping people every day, and making a real difference in people’s lives.
- Career Stability: with an aging population and unparalleled growth expected in the industry, being a medical assistant offers assured career stability.
- Portable Career: medical assistants are necessary for every community, from big cities to small towns. No matter where you live, or where you move to, your career can go with you.
Are There Drawbacks to Being a Medical Assistant?
Any healthcare role that involves patients can have hard days. Patients can be scared, angry, or difficult to handle, especially if they receive bad news. Clinical situations can be very busy, and you may spend long hours on your feet. However, for many medical assistants, the satisfaction of helping people offsets the difficulties they encounter.
People looking for a career opportunity that will allow them to help people while earning a fair salary in a field full of opportunities should consider becoming a medical assistant today.
Read also: Why Did The Greenhouse Call A Doctor