Moreover, every year the technology of photography and video is improving, which allows the list of the best camera phones to expand more and more, filling with new models from different categories. Now you don’t have to have a professional camera to take cool pictures. We take a look at a few popular models, pointing out several advantages of both the main camera and the front camera for selfies. Speaking of that, we suggest you read an article about the best way to take selfies on the official Skylum website. It’s very interesting and informative.
Criteria for choosing the best camera phone
To choose a camera phone with the best quality camera, you should rely on several criteria:
- clarity of video recording and the degree of detail of the photo at night;
- the quality of photos in low light or artificial light;
- the resolution of the captured images at maximum zoom;
- the effect of the stabilization function when creating different scenes.
When determining the top cameras on smartphones, the following key indicators should be taken into account:
- First of all, you should pay attention to the indicator that determines the light sensitivity of the aperture. The smaller the indicated value, the more light the matrix will catch. The unit of this parameter is f-stops, denoted by fractional numbers, for example, f/1.8.
- Sensor size. The larger it is, the better cameras in smartphones are equipped with models. Its size affects the clarity of the picture and the degree of light capture. The unit of measurement of the camera matrix size is vidicon inches. This serves as a key characteristic in determining the quality of the modules.
- It allows for a fraction of a second to bring the image to sharpness. The most technologically advanced type of focus is a laser, which allows you to instantly calculate the distance from the object to the scene.
- This optical feature allows you to improve the quality of photos and create professional videos. With the help of frame stabilization, you can get quality media content even if the camera shakes.
- Front camera resolution. Fragman models have advanced autofocus, resolution modules on the photo block, and a smaller aperture value. The best camera phones allow you to take good selfies using different modes.
Budget smartphones with the best cameras
Some smartphones of relatively low cost deserve a place in the ranking of the best cameras. Even though the listed models are not equipped with a large and expensive matrix, you can get top-notch photos and videos.
Samsung Galaxy A51
The main camera of this model is capable of shooting in resolutions up to 48 MPix. The smartphone in this series is equipped with a wide-angle sensor. It also has a depth sensor in portrait mode and a macro function.
If there is insufficient light, you will have to manually adjust the exposure. Video can only be shot in standard mode. Available video shooting in 4K quality at 60 frames per second. However, we were pleased with the wide-angle camera, which allows you to photograph detailed landscapes. The front camera is equipped with a module with a resolution of 32 megapixels.
Xiaomi Poco X3
This model of the Chinese brand has absorbed excellent features, close to the premium class. The smartphone has four cameras, including one with a resolution of 64 megapixels. Especially pleased with the pictures taken with macro photography. Photos are characterized by the highest clarity and detail, which is characteristic of models from the more expensive segment.
The photo block of this smartphone includes 4 sensors. The model is equipped with a monochrome lens. The main camera has a quality of 48 Mpix, but at the same time, the size of the sensor is large enough. You can shoot video in HD resolution at a frame rate of 60 FPS. Of the minuses, there is no slow motion mode and 4K support on the selfie camera. However, for the quality of the ultra-wide-angle lens, you can find solutions with better indicators.
By the way, any photo from a budget smartphone can be improved with the modern photo editor Luminar Neo.
Top smartphones with the best cameras
Сameras on smartphones, presented in the rating below, belong to the premium class. Among them, you can choose a decent model, which can even replace a DSLR. It’s easy to choose good selfie angles with these models, and the quality of the front camera is impeccable.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
This is one of the best smartphones that can create videos in 8K resolution. It has laser autofocus, support for electronic and optical stabilization, and 100x hybrid zoom. The main camera shoots 108 Mpix, and the wide-angle module – has 12 Mpix. It is worth noting the excellent depth sensor, which allows a high-quality transfer of shadows and dark tones.
iPhone 13 Pro Max
This is probably the best model of this brand, equipped with improved video components and an enlarged sensor that captures more light. You can record videos in 10-bit color depth. The maximum allowable shooting quality is 4K at 60 fps. This model will allow you to take detailed pictures even in twilight by adjusting the sharpness of the image. The Dolby Vision HDR system is used to improve the quality of video recordings.
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
This is the best one of the best cameras in today’s smartphones. The phone is capable of shooting in 8K quality. There is laser autofocus and optical stabilization. The camera unit includes three modules, including the main lens, capable of shooting at a resolution of 50 Mpix.
In selecting the best models, we were guided by aperture sensitivity, low light detail, color depth, retained image clarity when zooming, and stabilization analysis. If you mostly use the front camera, read about the best way to take selfies on Skylum’s blog.